It may be hard to believe, but we’re already more than halfway through the year. School is in session, and it won’t be long before the days get longer, darker, and colder. The good news is that the holidays are just around the corner. Time to give thanks, connect with loved ones, share delicious meals, exchange gifts, and prepare for the new year. And for many, the holidays mean vacations.
Whether visiting friends and family or trying something new, like snow hiking during the holidays, it’s a great way to spend your much-needed time-off. Many make the mistake of planning holiday getaways just a few weeks before the break, but waiting until the last minute can add some unwanted obstacles to holiday travel.
Limited Accommodations, Airline Delays, And Inflation
For this reason, it’s important to start making their holiday vacation plans early. Affordability and convenience aren’t always guaranteed and room availability can shift with current pandemic considerations.
Recently, staff shortages and increased travel have caused various issues for the nation’s airports. Many flights have been delayed or canceled, resulting in travelers waiting hours or even days to reach their destination. Some airlines have even reduced their number of flights, reducing availability and increasing the cost of a ticket.
Advanced Planning Saves Time And Money
How will planning your holiday vacation a few months in advance help you avoid these issues? Here a few key factors:
- Availability – Since stay-at-home orders have been lifted, there’s been a surge in people taking vacations. That means fewer car rentals, hotel rooms, and airline tickets are available for last-minute planners. By searching for these things in advance, you can find more options to secure your travel needs.
- Better Deals – The cost of travel is always fluctuating. However, reserving accommodations now could provide you with instant savings. Many travel booking sites offer members discounts on car rentals, hotel stays, airline tickets, and more. Most don’t require you to pay in advance and allow you to cancel or modify your reservations without penalty (within 24 hours of your travel date). Lastly, you may be able to purchase additional protections for just a few bucks that prevent you from being charged if you need to cancel or change your plans at the last minute.
- Lock In Rates – Many factors contribute to the cost of travel and these things determine how prices change over time. When you reserve your travel accommodations in advance, you can lock in an affordable rate.
- More Time To Save – The sooner you know how much your holiday vacation will cost, the sooner you can begin arranging your finances. You can set aside money in an interest-bearing account and reach your goal before it’s time to pay. Financial institutions like ONE make it even easier for you to save. They offer free banking solutions with no fees, high-yield interest, budgeting tools, and Auto-Save features to earn even more for your trip.
- Ease Your Stress – The holidays can be stressful enough. Set everything up now to reduce the stress of availability, price, and convenience.
There might be another few months before the holiday season begins, but if you plan on traveling, it’s best to start now. Save yourself the trouble (and money) by getting your plans in order before it’s too late.